Tuesday 5 August 2008

INFLUENCE PROFILE: PHARRELL WILLIAMS

Pretty much everyone that knows me, knows that my main idol and celebrity influence in life is Pharrell Williams.
It is hard to explain what makes him such a large influence on me, which sounds almost stupid, but there is so many things, it would be list upon list upon list of all the things that makes him appeal to me as an influence.
I think I may have been 10 or 11 years old when I first heard of Pharrell, an effect of having big sisters probably, but as soon as I saw this multi-talented body-popping producer (it was in Justin Timberlake's "Like I Love You" video) I remember thinking to myself "COOL! How does he do that?!...I wanna do that!"
And I guess, that from that, I followed Pharrell's movements and what not's all the time, then In Search Of... came along, then before I knew it, Fly or Die, it was all this Pharrell-ness around me that I think was a large reason why I'm so erm..obsessed with him now, so if any of you don't like me talking about Pharrell so much...blame my sisters =]
Pharrell is so influential to me because he has the versatality to do anything, he doesn't play by the rules, and isn't your average "Hip-Hop producer".
And yes, Pharrell IS Hip-Hop, you wanna know why?
Because...
*WELL, PHARRELL IS HIP HOP BECAUSE HE IS. HE RAPS, WRITES RAPS FOR OTHER PEOPLE AND HE PRODUCES HIP HOP BEATS. PHARRELL IS HIP HOP BECAUSE AT AGE 17 HE WROTE A RAP VERSE ON "RUMP SHAKER" IN '92. PHARRELL IS HIP HOP, A CONSCIOUS LYRICIST ESPECIALLY ON HIS FIRST MIXTAPE, IN MY MIND: THE PREQUEL. DON'T BELIEVE? DOWNLOAD IT PHARRELL IS HIP HOP CAUSE THATS WHAT HE DOES SO IF ANYONE THINKS THAT DRESSING LIKE A SKATER, SKATEBOARDING, OR LIKING ROCK MUSIC ISN'T HIP HOP, YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE CULTURE OR THE MUSIC. YOU ARE PROBABLY NARROW MINDED AND THINK THAT EVERYTHING IS SUPPOSED TO BE A CERTAIN WAY. HIP HOP IS A UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE, YOU CAN DRESS HOW EVER YOU WANT, AND LYRICS ARE VERY IMPORTANT ASK THE HIP HOP HEADS. IT DONT MATTER HOW MUCH MONEY YOU GOT, HOW YOU DRESS, HOW MANY SONGS YOU DO A YEAR, HOW MANY MIXTAPES YOU DO, OR HOW MUCH FAME YOU HAVE OBTAINED. HIP HOP IS HIP HOP. SO I HOPE PEOPLE LEARNED FROM THIS SHIT AND STOP BEING SO IGNORANT AND BLIND TO THE CONCEPTS THEY ARE USED TO. HIP HOP IS DIFFERENT. COME ORIGINAL.

Yeah, I went kinda on a little Pharrell rampage right there, but I mean, everything he does, just seems to interest me, I idolise him so much, that if he did something stupid like say wore trousers that only had one leg, I'd probably do it too, I know it kinda defeats the object of "being original" just like Pharrell is, but he is that big of an influence on me, I'd just do it...if you're not a seriously big die-hard fan like me, you won't understand.

In 2005, Pharrell was named GQ's best dressed man of the year, around that time, i was about 13 or 14, I was just finding my feet, and straight away I tryed to dress like Pharrell, so yeah, you could say that it's a slight obsession!

I bet some of you are wondering why am I just going on about my personal Pharrell feelings, and not actually talking about him, well, this is almost like my little diary to Pharrell haha.

You want to know about him...HERE is his Wikipedia article. =]


*Props to Ed Reyes

No comments: